Saturday, March 7, 2015

PROPELLER CUPCAKES


I've had a few people ask me for details on how to make the vintage airplane propeller cupcakes. They were super easy, but here is a step by step to show you how I did them.

The cupcakes themselves were standard chocolate cake mix from a box. I'm not that fancy to make them from scratch. For the propellers, I decided to use Tootsie Rolls because they were stronger and more malleable than melted chocolate or even frosting. I used a standard rolling pin to roll them out...surprisingly it takes a little bit of oomph!


Roll them as thin or thick as you would like. I wanted them a little bigger than the circumference of the cupcake, but not too big where they would droop over the edges. Once they are rolled out, I used a knife to make them into a propeller shape. You can use your fingers to soften the edges a bit once it's cut. 



I made homemade peanut butter frosting that I found online here. It was delicious - super light and fluffy, but still flavorful. I used the frosting to secure a mini Reese's Peanut Butter Cup to the Tootsie Roll. I went with the mini ones that come unwrapped, but any round candy would work.



I would recommend adding the "propellers" the day of the party. I added them the night before and they got a little soft overnight (and almost looked melted) from the moisture of the cupcakes. I added a little dollop of frosting to the top of the Reese and that's it! Like I said, super easy. :)